Historic Renovation

Stevens & Wilkinson provided design services for the historic renovation of the 1920s South Carolina Court of Appeals. Due to the age and original construction of the building, the translation of functions from paper to viable working spaces posed several design challenges.

Creative Engineering

From an engineering perspective, the spatial layouts also had to accommodate the concealment of HVAC and electrical services in each of the restored areas. Unable to pull information from the original architect’s plans, the designers adapted existing molding and plaster detail in the creation of new millwork and decorative treatments.

Designing with Authenticity

Additionally, our team also discovered that several of the shaped profiles in the elevations existed in the marble work on the first floor, thus assuring accuracy in the overall restoration. By lengthening one bay to increase capacity, the courtroom appears architecturally as it originally did in 1927. Renovated areas included administration spaces, courtroom, library and public areas.

The South Carolina Court of Appeals was originally built in 1927 and featured updated administration space, courtrooms, public areas, and library.

ClientState of South Carolina LocationColumbia, South Carolina Project Size80,000 Gross Square Feet