Respecting the Building's Historical Significance

Originally constructed in the late 1820s, Colleton County Courthouse underwent a series of significant modifications that would improve the building’s courtroom operations and overall support functions. Stevens & Wilkinson’s design team worked with the County to improve the building’s security by carefully addressing each of the concerns within the existing space, while also offering solutions that were respectful to the significance of the building’s history and current court system.

Honoring Robert Mills

The primary façade of the original courthouse, attributed to famed architect Robert Mills, includes a classical portico with a full entablature, a pair of “open-arm” stairs with wrought iron rails, scored stucco and large windows set in recessed arched panels. The new additions are sympathetic to the original design and included the addition of two porticos that are secondary, though complementary to the grand portico, at the main entrance.

Originally constructed in the late 1820’s, this 20,000-square foot courthouse renovation features a number of security-centered building improvements.

ClientColleton County South Carolina Government LocationWalterboro, South Carolina Project Size20,000 square feet