Originally built in the early 1920’s and renovated in 1971, this former post office had become less efficient as a result of the growth of the court. Additionally, the building’s interior finishes, which evidenced more than 20 years of wear, were significantly out of date and needed to include upgrades that better reflected the nature of the state’s developing court system. Renovated to capture additional square footage without adding on to the building’s original core, the building’s new floor plan is a marked contrast to the disparate groupings of the previous layout. The upper floors are divided into suites for the Justices with adjacent offices for their clerks and secretaries. By reducing the size of the first and second floor offices, our design team was also able to add an additional 13 offices.
1992 Gold Award, Best in Show Adaptive Re-Use Restoration — Institute of Business Designers – Carolinas Chapter
1992 Honor Award for Design Excellence for Renovation / Restoration — American Society of Interior Design – Carolinas Chapter
1992 Award of Excellence — Architectural Woodwork Institute
1993 Contract Design Magazine — Featured Article