98 years and counting

What began as a small firm headed by two young architects in 1919, has turned into one of the most successful architecture, engineering and interior design firms in the southeast. With 98 years of design experience, our history is as vast and expansive as the clients and projects we have been fortunate enough to create. As we celebrate our nearly 100 years in the design industry, we take a moment to reflect on our strong legacy - one built on innovation, forward-thinking and inventive sustainable design ideas.

1919

S&W Work - 1919
1919
Burge & Stevens, founded by Flippen D. Burge and Preston S. Stevens, Sr., begins as a partnership with offices at 140 Peachtree Street in Atlanta.

Joseph Winship House becomes the first commission; Georgia Baptist Hospital becomes the first major commission.

1920

S&W Work - 1920
1920
Beginning of licensing of Architects in the State of Georgia; Preston Stevens Sr. receives Georgia Registration No. 61.
1928
Firm begins work on First Baptist Church and Capital City Country Club.

1930s

S&W Work - 1930s
1935
Awarded the first public housing project in the U.S. - Techwood Housing.
1936
James R. Wilkinson joins the firm.
1939
The Price Gilbert House becomes the first international style residence in the South (Featured in Life magazine).

1940s

S&W Work - 1940s
1940
Architectural Forum magazine publishes Beck & Gregg Headquarters project.
1947
Work begins on Peachtree Hills Apartments, the first international style apartment complex in the South

The size of the firm grows to more than 100 employees

Firm name changes to “Stevens & Wilkinson, Architects & Engineers”

Stevens & Wilkinson establishes scholarship at Georgia Institute of Technology
1949
Firm starts work on E. Rivers School, the first modern school building in the South. The design work is published in Architectural Forum magazine in April 1951 and Time magazine in September 1953.

1950s

S&W Work - 1950s
1953
"An Introduction to Modern Architecture" by J. M. Richards, lists Stevens & Wilkinson as one of the American Leaders of Modern Architecture.

Began a series of 150 schools in 26 counties and cities throughout Georgia.
1954
First commission for Sears, Roebuck and Co. Building in Columbia, South Carolina.
1959
Progressive Architecture magazine features a 12 page spread about Stevens & Wilkinson in the February issue, entitled, "The Architect and His Community."

1960s

S&W Work - 1960s
1962
Joint-Venture partner for Atlanta Memorial Arts Center (now known as the Woodruff Arts Center)

Stevens & Wilkinson designs Lenox Towers High Rise Office Buildings for H.L. Hunt Interests
1966
Daniel Building, a 27-story office building for Daniel Construction Co., located in Greenville, South Carolina opens

Fortune magazine features an article regarding, Executive Park, one of the first office parks in the country in its August 1966 issue
1967
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, the world's busiest airport since 1998, selects Stevens & Wilkinson as a joint-venture architect
1969
Georgia office moves into the Equitable Building, located in Downtown Atlanta, at 100 Peachtree Street

1970s

S&W Work - 1970s
1974
Firm receives commission for Decatur MARTA Station, the first underground transit station in Metro Atlanta
1978
The firm's South Carolina office opens in Downtown Columbia on Main Street
1979
Ralph Bunche Middle School, the first major solar powered school is dedicated in Atlanta

1980s

S&W Work - 1980s
1980
The firm establishes a scholarship fund at Auburn University in memoriam of James R. Wilkinson.

Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport opens as the largest terminal complex in the world
1983
Interior Design, Space Planning and Graphics are formally added as professional design services in both offices
1983
Palmetto Center, the first mixed-use development in South Carolina opens in downtown Columbia, SC; becomes the corporate headquarters for SCE&G/SCANNA
1989
Target Stores, a Division of Dayton Hudson Corporation, selects Stevens & Wilkinson to design the majority of their Southeastern United States stores
1989
Stevens & Wilkinson establishes a scholarship at Clemson University and Tuskegee Institute

1990s

S&W Work - 1990s
1990
Firm receives the 1990 Silver Medal Award from the Atlanta Chapter of the American Institute of Architects for "pioneering the introduction of contemporary architecture in the South and for 70 years of pursuit of distinction in design"
1998
Columbia Museum of Art opens, an adaptive reuse of downtown Columbia's former Macy’s Department Store

The renovation of the South Carolina State House is completed; considered one of the most significant historic renovation projects in the state

2000s

S&W Work - 2000s
2000
Stevens & Wilkinson Interiors, Incorporated adopted use of “idea|span” as its tradename
2001
The firm's South Carolina office receives the 2001 Firm Award from the South Carolina Chapter of the American Institute of Architects
2003
Stevens & Wilkinson of Georgia and Stang & Newdow combine practices – firm name changs to Stevens & Wilkinson Stang & Newdow, Inc.
2003
The Matthew J. Perry U.S. Federal Courthouse opens in Columbia, South Carolina
2004
The Columbia office teams with sister interior design firm, idea|span, to design the Meridian, located in downtown Columbia, SC
2005
The GSA Design Excellence Program commissions the new $52 million, John C. Godbold Federal Building in Atlanta and work is completed. The project is designed utilizing BIM technology and received LEED Gold certification.
2008
Stevens & Wilkinson's award-winning design for the Anne Frank in the World exhibit opens at Kennesaw State University. Over the next three years, more than 60,000 children visit the exhibit, which becomes the boundary point for KSU's Museum of History and Holocaust Education.

2010s

S&W Work - 2010s
2010
Stevens & Wilkinson, in association with Raphael Vinoly Architects, began working on the design of the University of South Carolina's new Darla Moore School of Business. The project is on target to achieve LEED Platinum certification and NetZero Energy use. Once achieved, the new business school will become the largest academic building in the southeast to accomplish this goal.
2011
The design and construction of the Boeing Site Support Building in North Charleston, SC is completed

The James E. Clyburn Research Center at the Medical University of South Carolina is completed and features two new research buildings - Drug Discovery and Bioengineering Buildings. The Center becomes one of the first LEED Gold research labs in the country.
2014
Stevens & Wilkinson and Richard Wittschiebe Hand combine practices